Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Lebanon, NH
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is seeking a Tumor Registrar to join our team. In this role, the candidate will review and enter data related to tumors into the system of record. The candidate will train and oversee other team members, giving input into performance appraisals. In addition, the Tumor Registrar will perform follow-up and state reporting functions to ensure proper tracking. Working remotely in NH or VT is an option for this position.
- Abstracts information on demographic characteristics, diagnostic procedures, diagnosis, extent of disease, and treatment from electronic patient records and manuals.
- Reviews clinical records of cancer patients. Determines the stage of the cancer at diagnosis using staging schemas.
- Enters pertinent data into computerized database.
- Submits reports to the New Hampshire State Cancer Registry (NHSCR) of newly identified cancer patients.
- Assumes responsibility for the oversight and training of Oncology Data Coordinators, giving input into performance appraisals.
- Acts as the main coordinator for reporting, coding, and abstracting all cancer cases of selected physicians.
- Responds to inquiries from other cancer registries regarding the treatment and follow-up of shared cancer patients.
- Writes computer programs to prepare information in response to special requests from physicians and researchers regarding the cancer experiences. Interacts with computer programming staff to implement changes and improvements in data base structure.
- Identifies new cancer patients through review of reports from pathology, DNA studies, cytology, radiation therapy, autopsy, history, and physical reports.
- Organizes and participates in quality assurance reviews of tumor registry work by physicians. Audits patient records. Checks abstracts against records. Responds to reviewing physician concerns.
- Coordinates and attends meetings to be held with the NHSCR.
To be considered candidates must be High school graduates with 4 years of combined medical records and computer database management/ data processing experience, or the equivalent. In this role, candidates are required to have Certified Tumor Registrar certification. In addition, candidates should have extensive knowledge of anatomy and medical terminology along with strong organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is an academic health system, serving patients across New England. A national leader in patient-centered health care, D-H is on a path to create a sustainable health system for the region and as a model for the nation. Founded in 1893, the system includes New Hampshire’s only Level 1 trauma center and its only air ambulance service, as well as the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, one of only 41 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the nation, and the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, the state’s only Children’s Hospital Association-approved, comprehensive, full-service children’s hospital. As an academic health system, Dartmouth-Hitchcock provides access to nearly 1,500 primary care doctors and specialists in almost every area of medicine, as well as world-class research with the Audrey and Theodor Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.
Applicants are encouraged to apply online at:
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.