Hospital Association of Rhode Island
In Rhode Island, the Rhode Island Department of Health contracts with the Hospital Association of Rhode Island (HARI) to maintain the official statewide cancer incidence database. The Rhode Island Cancer Registry (RICR) was established by state law in 1986. The RICR has achieved Gold Certification from the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) for 19 consecutive years. Job Description: The Director of Cancer Information Systems is expected to lead and direct the Cancer Information Systems (CIS) staff within HARI to ensure that hospitals, physicians, and researchers obtain timely, accurate, and useful data on cancer in Rhode Island.
1. Lead and direct the Cancer Information Systems (CIS) staff of the Hospital Association of Rhode Island (HARI) in maintaining the official statewide cancer incidence database under contract with the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) and meeting the standards set forth in regulations under Rhode Island law. Meet data collection and reporting standards of the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR).
2. In conjunction with the HARI President, ensure there is sufficient staff, in number and expertise, to manage and implement the Rhode Island Central Cancer Registry.
3. Prepare and manage the CIS budget. Prepare and manage budgets related to the RIDOH contract, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded Patient Centered Outcome Research (PCOR) project, Early Case Capture of Pediatric and Young Adult Cancer (ECC) project and other CDC funded projects that may arise.
4. Oversee all activities related to the HARI/RIDOH contract pertaining to the Rhode Island Cancer Registry (RICR) and its Centers for Disease Control (CDC) grant related components. Assist RIDOH in the preparation of these documents. Ensure all deliverables are met. Design and implement new activities and projects when required in the Agreement.
5. Develop Central Cancer Registry protocols and manuals to ensure accurate, complete, quality, and timely data collection, processing, and reporting. Update the protocols and manuals annually, or as necessary, to ensure compliance with NPCR, NAACCR, and AJCC guidelines.
6. Monitor and review cancer incidence reporting in Rhode Island. Perform regular quality assurance (QA) audits and report documented results to RIDOH. Review and revise existing case finding and data submission procedures to improve timeliness of reporting. Assist reporting hospitals in implementing changes designed to reduce workload and duplication of effort and to increase data quality statewide.
7. Oversee exchanges and releases of cancer data and develop and enforce policies designed to protect the confidentiality of cancer patient data. Ensure all staff comply with confidentiality policies and procedures.
8. Perform IT security audit annually and report results to RIDOH.
9. Plan and conduct a minimum of two statewide educational sessions for hospital cancer registry staff. Plan and conduct hospital-based training for new cancer registry staff as needed. Disseminate information on education/training opportunities and updated NPCR, NAACCR, and AJCC guidelines to hospital cancer registry staff.
10. Provide RIDOH access to updated electronic file of complete case reports.
11. Maintain memberships in state, regional and national organizations related to the CIS operation. Serve on committees of state, regional and national organizations related to cancer prevention and control.
12. Perform other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in management/business administration or related healthcare curriculum. Master’s Degree preferred. Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) or CTR eligible preferred, with a minimum of five years working in the field of cancer registration. Strong written and oral communication skills and strong computer skills.
Instructions for Resume Submission: Please e-mail resumes to Liz Almanzor, director of finance, at LizA@hari.org. More information on the job position can be provided upon request.