To support and perform central cancer registry activities that ensure the accuracy and completeness of New Hampshire State Cancer Registry reporting. Job Description: Key Accountabilities
- Reviews and processes New Hampshire cancer reports to ensure their completeness and accuracy in accordance with national and state reporting standards.
- Collaborates with reporting facilities to address issues of reporting, access to records, and confidentiality.
- Carries out established central registry policies, procedures and quality assurance efforts.
- Performs field work at local facilities to identify and address causes of deficiencies.
- Schedules and performs site visits at designated New Hampshire reporting facilities on a regular basis to abstract reportable cancer cases in accordance with national and state standards.
- Facilitates and coordinates the reporting of initial case (rapid) reports from reporting sources.
- Visits New Hampshire hospitals or uses remote access to electronic medical records to check reliability of information abstracted from charts; reviews pathology and patient charts for accuracy and completeness of case finding.
- Works with senior registry staff and local hospital registrars to address patterns of inaccurate or incomplete reporting.
- Monitors casefinding efforts from pathology laboratories and free-standing radiotherapy and medical oncology centers to review reports and ensure completeness in case reporting.
- Collaborates with local hospitals to ensure that patterns of accurate and complete reporting are maintained; addresses problems of non-reporting and/or untimely reporting of data and poor quality data submission; implements individual improvement plans.
- Meets with hospital personnel to ensure that patterns of accurate and complete reporting are maintained.
- Effectively communicates and personally supports the department values to foster inclusiveness and diversity.
- Enters and maintains patient data to conform to registry operational standards.
- Identifies, registers, and maintains records of all New Hampshire cancer patients though the central cancer registry data system.
- Obtains missing cases and resolving cases of inconsistent or incomplete information.
- Reviews diagnostic indices and death certificates as process of case attainment.
- Notifies attending physicians of unreported cases and monitors obtaining appropriate abstracts.
- Maintains network of professional contacts and membership in professional organizations to facilitate quality control activities.
- Participates in local, regional, or national cancer organizations and meetings.
- Obtains Certified Tumor Registrar qualification if not yet obtained, and maintains CTR status.
Note: Employment will be contingent upon possession of a valid U.S. or Canadian driver’s license and continued qualification as an Approved Driver under the Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of quality assurance procedures for medical reporting.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment.
- Strong writing and editing skills for preparing manuals and protocols in implementation of quality assurance systems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Two years of relevant experience in clinical data collection or management.
- Experience in cancer case ascertainment and abstraction helpful.
- Either Bachelor’s degree; or RHIT, RHIA or CCS and relevant experience; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification as a Cancer Registrar (CTR).
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon available funds.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
For additional information and to apply, please visit https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/52217